Thrift Store Finds

I haven’t done much thrift shopping since moving back to Ohio. This week I decided to remedy that. I hit the local store with a friend looking for new tea cups for our Tuesday Tea Times and whatever else might be there. It was fun and I got good stuff!

2 new cups

2 puzzles, one of which we put together right away.

It was missing 3 pieces. The other puzzle was still shrink wrapped, so I assume they will all be there.

Fun fact- it never occurred to me to check how many pieces were in a “1,000 piece puzzle”. Apparently, not necessarily a thousand! This one would have had 1,008.

I also picked up a set of double nines dominoes, which I thought was missing a piece (due to the empty space in the case). Some checking at home revealed it was indeed a full set.

My daughter and I played to a hundred. She shredded me with a score of 220 to 29. The last round was a doozy. The pips going up to nine makes for potentially large scores and difficult point counting.

Advertisements

More Doll Stuff

Here are the most recent doll things my daughter has been working on.

First up is a campground she made. She sawed a branch in half and then used hot glue to attach greenery to make the trees. She cut holes in a shoebox she painted to help hold them upright. Then she added rocks, sticks, and other details. She made sleeping bags out of duck tape.

Next she made a dresser for her dollhouse using cardboard, pretty papers, hot glue, wooden beads, and trim. It came out pretty amazing! The bottles are made from pony beads.

She made this couch from a base of Jello boxes and TP roll tubes. She added fabric and foam to cover it up.

She has begun work on a vending machine. She cut out tons of pictures from the circulars to use and arranged the ones she wanted for this project.

She liked that this one matched the mints she bought.

Dollhouse Project

My daughter is continuing to move forward with her dollhouse project.

We got stuck for a moment today when she wanted to start on the wallpapers and floors and then realized that we hadn’t spray painted the outside of the house yet (nor did we own the spray paint to do so). We tried to come up with a good solution to replace the spray paint. She didn’t want the back of the house to be too bumpy and she was worried about the seams where the 3 boxes are joined. We settled on using the full size mailing labels we already own and she decided that they would make a great canvas for her dolls to do graffiti.

All of this did not go as smoothly as it sounds. Somewhere in there, she was bothered by the sticker labels not laying quite flat. She was pretty distressed. I encouraged her to take a break and eat something while I helped with the edges. She came back calmer and decided that if she didn’t like the way it looked she could just put the swimming pool over that spot.

She never did get to the walls and floors today, but she should be able to tackle that pretty easily on her own next time.